Monday, April 16, 2012

Clean sweep at Hong Kong Film Award...not quite unexpected

Last night was the Hong Kong Film Award (HKFA)...dubbed the Academy Award of the Hong Kong film industry.

As mentioned in previous entry...A Simple Life (桃姐) is expected to win big...and they did...the film took home all 5 major awards...Best Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay, Best Actor and Best Actress...the last movie that had the same record was in 1996...Summer Snow (女人四十)...also directed by Ann Hui
(story in detail http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2012-04/16/content_25155661.htm)

This cover photo at www.cfp.cn tells it all
  
Out of the 5 nominees for Best Film...I've only watched 2...A Simple Life and Overheard 2...
I really enjoyed Overheard 2...I think it is better than the first Overheard...but between the two I know the more compelling story of A Simple Life would win...

Besides the major awards...I'm always interested in the nominations for supporting roles...while the lead roles tell the story...good supporting actor/actress make the film much more entertaining to watch...
this year, I'm more interested in the supporting actors...4 veterans and 1 young man who got the Best Actor award just last year...I watched Jimmy Wang in Wu Xia, Kenneth Tsang in Overheard 2 and Paul Chun Pui in A Simple Life...I love them all, very solid veterans...but my fav. is Chun Pui in A Simple Life...I always enjoy watching him on screen...
The award goes to Lo Hoi Pang for Life Without Principle...and the film also gave So Hang Shuen the Best Supporting Actress award...and some say the best actor also should have gone to Sean Lau for his lead role in this film...hmmm...sounds like a good film...must put this on top of my to-watch list

I was actually looking out for Wu Xia...one of the Hong Kong movie I enjoyed the most last year...most of its nominations were for technical merits...although it didn't win in most of the categories it was nominated, not even Donnie Yen's choreography...I'm quite happy that at least it won the Best Cinematography because I think it was beautifully filmed...with twisty interesting plot...I even thought it would at least get nominated for best film...but then what do I know about film...I'm just a cinema-goer...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger