Thursday, April 26, 2012

Let's talk about running...

A runner friend mentioned this book to me earlier...and the other day while wasting time at the bookstore waiting for movie to start...came across the book...


few reasons I bought it almost immediately...
1) its not a book about running...but a memoir of someone who runs
2) its not by a runner...but an acclaimed writer I know (not in person ofcos)
3) its not thick...less than 180 pages
4) its not expensive...around rm30 with member's discount

First of all...I do run a bit...by Mr. Murakami's definition, I'm not a serious runner...as mentioned in the book, he considered someone who run an average 60km a week as serious runner...I do about 30km a week...so maybe I'm semi-serious...

I'd read running books by runners before...they are very good guide book...good reference for beginners...based on experience, backed by facts and knowledge...

Instead of insight into running...this book provides insight into the runner himself...not a professional full time competitive runner...but an amateur runner...someone I can identify with, in terms of running, much closer than a marathon winner who are like miles ahead of me...in races, the winner always crosses the finish line before I cross the halfway line...

This is also a memoir that offers a lil peek through the window into his life...not just at his running...but also his career...his philosophy

And what makes this book really attractive to me is the fact that this is not a book by a sportsman or an editor narrating on behalf...but by the man himself an established writer...

I can't say I'm a fan of Mr. Murakami, maybe not yet. I have to admit his books are not easy to read...maybe thats why my bookmark got stuck somewhere in the first quarter of The Wind-up Bird Chronicle for so long...but  if you spend time and read patiently...it will slowly lead your imagination into its world...
the same goes with this book...as he described his training and races...I can almost picture I was there...and feel the soreness in my calf...ok that's due to my running

I think readers who run will enjoy the book with the many "Oh...I've been through that too" or "Hahaha...that also happened to me before" moments...and the many motivational quotes...it is like a book of motivational quotes for runners...I wish I can list them all here but that would be very inappropriate...can I at least share one...my favourite...for lazy runner like myself...

"I have only a few reasons to keep on running, and a truckload of them to quit. All I can do is keep those few reasons nicely polished."

For non-runners...I think you will also enjoy it because it's not just about running but more about the runner himself...how he sees running...his views...his philosophy...quite interesting man...
because it is not too long, this may be a good introduction to this painful and torturous yet addictive hobby...so, want to go shopping for running shoes?


2 comments:

  1. you shouldn't have start with his "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle", it isn't the easiest but certainly one of my favorite ~ especially those short stories of war crimes that are added in-between. can be quite eerie at some parts, i leave u to discover yourself :)

    fortunately, his "running" book is easy to read, and pretty motivating for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha...at that time I just know about H.Murakami from somewhere, wanted to try his book and randomly picked "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle"

      The progress was really slow, but as far as I went the story is quite engaging. Then I got distracted and forgot about it.

      I should dig it up and finish it. But then I didn't know it has quite eerie part. Now I'm a bit hesitant...haha

      Delete

Powered By Blogger